Today I leave for Minnesota to visit my fiancé for the weekend, and I have to say I’m excited for three main things:
- Seeing Graeme (duh).
- Shopping at the Mall of America (hello, spring wardrobe!).
- Finally going to the Original Pancake House for brunch, which Graeme raves about incessantly.
So, as I’m dreaming about getting on the plane in just a few hours, I put together my ideal little brunch outfit. Unfortunately, though, it’s still winter in MN and we’ll have to bundle up just a little bit more. Can’t wait for spring and sun that actually feels warm!
Earrings / Scarf / Dress / Jacket / Bangles / Booties
Alright, guys, flowers and chocolates are nice, but sometimes we want you to show a little originality. I know, I know, it isn’t fair to demand creativity, but putting in that extra effort really shows. Last year Graeme got me some Ugg slippers and, while it maybe wasn’t the most romantic gift, I love them and have worn them every day since. The man knows my feet get cold and he decided to put an end to it.
You have to admit there’s a certain romance to that.
With this in mind, here are some tips to inspire more personalized gifts for your lady this year:
- Think about the things she enjoys. What does she see beauty in? How can you bring that beauty to her? Maybe frame a photo of something she loves, or make her a gift basket full of things from her favorite place.
- Does she enjoy getting out of the house and being active? Consider taking her on an extraordinary date in place of a gift. Give her an adventure instead.
- Ask yourself, is there anything she’s been hinting at? And if so, does she just expect that you’ll get it for her, or will it blow her away?
- Ask yourself, is there anything that she needs? Like Graeme last year, you can be creative here by getting her something that will impact her life daily. Trust me, she’ll think of you every time she uses it!
Ugg Dakota Slippers
Don’t get me wrong: Flowers and chocolate are great, and make for a classic Valentine’s Day. Maybe that’s all your Valentine wants, and remember, you know her best! But don’t be afraid to think outside the chocolate box this year.
We’re engaged! There’s no better way to end the summer than with the perfect proposal. Thanks to everyone who came to celebrate with us!
Graeme got down on one knee after taking me kayaking on the Puget Sound. We had a moment to ourselves before I was further surprised with the arrival of family and friends. Below is a shot of me with a great friend and, of course, the ring!
Back to school on Wednesday. Senior year of college, here we come!